Middle School Girls Groups
Powerful Choices includes a school-based program for 8th grade girls at Denny International and Asa Mercer Middle Schools and a condensed five-week summer program for incoming 8th grade girls called Girls Rising.
During the school year, girls meet once a week as a whole group at middle schools, in addition to having monthly one-on-one meetings with a Powerful Voices staff member to discuss areas of growth and personal goals. The Girls Rising program meets 2 times a week, four hours a day, for four-five weeks. In addition to group sessions and one-on-one meetings, the summer program also includes several field trips.
The goal of Powerful Choices programs is to create a space for middle school female-identified youth to:
- Be involved in a community of supportive adults, partners, and peers
- Build a supportive and encouraging community with other girls
- To increase communication skills, including stating needs, listening, and empathy.
- Develop respect for self and others through the exploration of identity, privilege, and oppression
- Develop leadership through social responsibility and activism.
- Grow through connections with community activists and role models
Girls get involved with Powerful Choices and Girls Rising through self-referral or referrals from teachers, counselors, parents/guardians, as well as peer recruitment and outreach. For our in-school programs, recruitment is in September and girls have to attend those schools and be in 8th grade. For our summer Girls Rising program, recruitment starts in May and girls have to live or go to school in the city of Seattle, be rising 8th graders (have just completed 7th grade), and able to provide their own transportation to the program (we do provide bus tickets).
Email for an application to our 2016-17 Powerful Choices program!
Sarafina Kariuki, Powerful Choices Coordinator